“Elephant in the room” is an English metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is either being ignored or going unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss.
It is based on the idea that an elephant in a room would be impossible to overlook; thus, people in the room who pretend the elephant is not there have chosen to avoid dealing with the looming big issue.
The biggest news in Scientology right now is the fact that 18 long standing Scientologists, 16 OT’s, have just been declared.
With that in mind the church sent out word to the field (such as it is now) that there was to be a briefing tonight to, firstly, present the new command team and, far more importantly, to let every one know how they came to decide that 18 declares was a smart move.
As crowd pullers go, that was a good one. The crowd was duly pulled. The auditorium at the org was full.
It was a complete non-event. Following graduation in the auditorium there was a smaller briefing by the new CO OSA. At no time were the names “Gaye & Ernest Corbett” or any of the other 18 mentioned. The issue was entirely ignored. The elephant paraded loudly and colourfully but it was never discussed.
We were hoping to have a far more exciting briefing but, alas not. It seems at the last minute they chickened out and decided that they should not “forward the enemy line”.
Despite this non-event paranoia was running high. A no cell phone rule was enforced for the auditorium in case the 5 year old birthday game player of the week was recorded. Cell phones were not allowed at all and had to be handed in to a staff member.
The church has done this for years. They are terrified to talk about “entheta” things. Let’s only talk about how much we are expanding. The best stat given for this expansion was that 500 Joburg public have a full set of basics and 35 people have completed the basics line up. For the rest of South Africa 300 people own the full set and 27 have completed the line up. The basics were released in 2007 so or those who like numbers this equates to 10 a year for the whole country. Less than 1 a month. Despite this staggering number Albert claimed during graduation that Joburg Org has expanded more in the last 10 years than the previous 50.
The only bit of news we have to report is some snippets from Gaye & Ernest’s SP declare. The charges are laughable and stated as fact with no specifics:
- In 1982 Gaye printed some Scientology T-Shirts and pocketed the money
- In the 70s they ran Durban Org and messed it up.
- In the late 80s they built a sauna in their home so the Purif could be delivered (the org had no sauna at the time). This took money from the org.
- They have pretended to be friends of the Church while they have covertly worked to undermine orgs.
- They have not supported Ideal Orgs since 2007 and have been opposed to the strategy.
- By actual count they are guilty of 22 high crimes. These are not listed in the issue.
- They started a splinter group and have actively been enticing Scientologists to join, although the issue is light on specifics.
So don’t mind the elephant.