In 2003 four orgs around the world were part of an experiment known at the time as “new Central Organisations”. These orgs were: Tampa, San Francisco, Buffalo and Joburg. They all opened in newly renovated buildings personally overseen (and opened) by David Miscavige.
At the March 13 event in 2004 the global campaign to build these “new breed of Central Organisations” was launched. Shortly after this the program became known as the “Ideal Org Strategy” which is still running today.
The problem to be solved was outlined by David Miscavige at this event. He noted that if the church were to clear the planet it had to happen a lot faster. He pointed out that there were over 2.7 million towns and cities around the world that did not yet even have a group, let alone an org.
He announced the WHY for expansion being too slow: Orgs were trying to do too little. This was not the way to clear a planet. He then emphatically announced: “We don’t ‘build on a gradient’, slowly and bit-by-bit. Our new gradient for organizations is straight up – we DO IT ALL, and RIGHT NOW.”
He then spoke in great detail about how the church was in the “public phase” of it’s evolution and how these new organisations would achieve expansion on a right now basis. These new organisations were supposed to make the necessary speed of expansion possible.
He closed the event with this: “And while I could list others [ideal orgs on the runway] in every continent, the point is this: It must be every org. And since we now know what it takes, it only requires Scientologists everywhere to follow in those same footsteps. Which brings us to the inevitable question: ‘Where does it go from there – the end result of this public phase?’ Well, it is obvious. For as orgs advance, so too will come exponential expansion of every other activity.”
“And as all organisations in a single country achieve St. Hill size, we then open a new Advanced Org for that country.”
In effect what this created in every org was an environment of urgency, of panic, of frantic desperation. Everything had to be done NOW. That was the command. Do it ALL and do it NOW. We have covered this environment in an earlier article: Org staff & crises management. This forced the attention of org staff and management onto “right now”. There was simply no time to look back or forward. JUST DO IT ALL, RIGHT NOW!
While this goes on the staff and public are bombarded with successes in other areas which served to introvert staff even more in that they were just not making it happen in their area.
This has created the illusion of success for this program. In truth it took 10 years for the second African Ideal Org to open. And there isn’t another on the horizon any time soon. But the right now, right now, right now viewpoint keeps being pushed.
At the bottom of this post is the script from the African Ideal Org Convention held in January 2011 – 3 years ago. It was hosted by guest speaker and Ideal Org fundraiser Brandy Harrison who had come out from the US to help fire up the local field to raise more money.
What is most revealing in this document is this statement:
“International Management has two vitally important targets for Scientology in South Africa:
o Complete all the Ideal Orgs in Africa.
o Open the Advanced Org”
They are “vitally important targets” yet 3 years later only one other org has opened (with 6 more to go). 6 weeks ago another 2 day convention was held all about “making it happen in 2014.” The message from that convention? “We must complete all the Ideal Orgs in Africa and open the AO. And we’re going to get this all done by the end of 2015.”
As much as the mantra is “straight up and vertical” the reality is that it is simply not. Years are passing with no discernible progress is being made. The volume of production coming from Joburg Org is at very similar levels to its previous homes in Main Street and Commissioner Street before that.
Most staff and Sea Org members are convinced that they are doing it ALL and that they are doing it NOW. They aren’t allowed the breathing room to realise they aren’t.
The physical universe reality is that the church in South Africa has been fundraising for 14 years and its community has been shattered with mass expulsions and disconnections. That is the real result of “do it ALL and do it NOW”.
Here’s the script from that convention in 2011. Note that it was written by Brandy. Its her notes to herself of what to brief on: It could have been written 6 weeks ago or a year from now and there are plenty of jaw dropping outpoints:
AFRICA CONT BRIEFING
- Non-E – Successfully completed over 21 Ideal Org projects, raised over 85 million dollars for Ideal Orgs around the world.
- Non-E. I most recently worked on projects in Quebec, Pasadena and Brussels, the Churches of Scientology for Europe.
- I’m extremely excited to finally come to Africa! Africa is the closest cont in the world to finishing all of its Ideal Orgs.
- One thing that it’s incredible about the South African people is that they are at the awareness characteristic of “need for change”. I personally think that South Africa is a far greater continent than you’ve been given credit for.
- The fact that Joburg opened as one of the very first Ideal Orgs on the planet and helped to lead the way as one of the first pilots is quite an accomplishment in itself.
- Just to put this into perspective, the UK opened their first Ideal Org two years after Joburg in London, Canada opened its first Ideal Org just last year in Quebec, Latam (Latin America) just opened their first Ideal Org in July last year in Mexico and as of today, ANZO (Australia, New Zealand, Oceania) will open their first Ideal Org in Melbourne.
- Now as the CO CMO Africa touched upon, the Ideal Org strategy has been a theta-mest theory for the past 8 years. Explain the theta-mest theory. While you were opening Joburg, I was opening the first Ideal Orgs in Tampa and Buffalo.
- When we first started, we didn’t even know the words “Ideal Org”. And I can honestly say that it hasn’t been until this past year that we actually figured out the strategy perfectly.
- We’re now engaged on what we call, “the new breed of Ideal Orgs” Our new breed of Ideal Orgs are quite different and actually surpass any of our earlier projects.
- Stats. Our 3 most recent Ideal Orgs in Mexico, Pasadena and Seattle get more than 2000 new people to take their first step on The Bridge every week.
- Mexico. Mexico alone introduces 1200-1500 new people to Scientology every week for a total of over 30,000 new people FSMed into the org since their grand opening last year. They’ve also succeeded through incredible dissemination of the CCHR program to ban psychiatry from their public school system.
- Media Dissemination of Scientology just from our Ideal Orgs this past year:
o 1746 positive newspaper and magazine articles
o 268 positive radio shows for a total of 8040 minutes.
o 914 positive TV shows for a total of 4570 minutes on television.
- This past year alone, we’ve had 1240 new staff members join staff at our Ideal Orgs.
- Every 90 seconds, a new person starts their first service in Scientology in an Ideal Org.
- There are several major changes we’ve implemented in our new breed of Ideal Orgs which have resulted in this expansion.
o Establishment of the staff. Training, auditing and apprenticeship.
o Division 6 lines. Anatomy of the Human Mind, Personnel Efficiency, KTL and LOC are restored to Division 6, the Testing Line…
o Mimeograph Machine.
o Non-E Dissemination campaign.
- International Management has two vitally important targets for Scientology in South Africa:
o Complete all the Ideal Orgs in Africa.
o Open the Advanced Org
- Africa has a responsibility in leading the way for planetary clearing. I actually want to put this in perspective for you and give you some inside information about where we’re going on an international scale.
- Sketch out strategy for planetary clearing.
- Now in addition to everything that I just went over with you in terms of our new breed of Ideal Orgs, there was also a massive reorganization of the International Landlord Office and how our Ideal Org buildings are purchased and renovated.
- And to give you the data on this, I have a DVD to show you of a special briefing that was delivered on the ship at Maiden Voyage to all the OT Ambassadors by the Senior Designer and Int Construction Supervisor. You are the first people on the planet to see this DVD outside of the OT Ambassadors on the ship.